Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Way We Were

After almost a year-long hiatus, I was encouraged (read: nagged to distraction) by a former classmate to re-up, since a whole bunch of folks from my alma mater had found their way to a very popular social network, which is basically Internet crack. The catalyst was seeing someone on the Food Network who looked awfully like a guy who graduated a couple of years ahead of me; upon receiving confirmation that it was indeed him, I was informed that if I were back on this site, I would know of things like this. So I reactivated.

I received some surprising welcomes, from GU folks and sorors and frat alike; didn't know that I was missed that much (and yes, ran down my cell phone battery on catch-up phone calls)! Then I went through the GU crew. Months ago, there were only a handful of us (from the era that mattered: 1991-95); now, we've multiplied like project roaches. The faces I saw brought back a lot of memories: many good, some bad, and one that took me under for quite some time.

Speaking of the latter: let me just get it off my chest. I loved him, it ended badly, and he's now married. And you know, for the first time in a long time, I can look at his picture and no longer feel anything but a "Hey! There's _____!" Well, whaddya know?". I actually feel sorry for his wife because unless he did a complete 180 and got some major shrinkage, she's got two handfuls to deal with. You go, girl.

Now back to my happy feelings.

I clicked on a few profiles and I'm glad to see that a lot of my former classmates have found their niche in the world. They look happy, or at least content. And in this world, that's saying something.

But since this is a new year, I did go through my friend list and do some purging. Some people were sorors and frat whom I met during some Blue and White event or another; I don't give passes to those in my world who are non-Greek, so I'm not going to give much of one to those who are. If you haven't even attempted to keep in touch with me offline over the past year, you got jettisoned. I removed myself from groups which sounded good at the time, but which no longer serve. It's all about progress.

Bottom line, it's good to be back in touch with GU people. Those were some of the best years of my life and if I had to do it all over again, I would. I'm feeling so warm and fuzzy right now, that I may actually attend my first GU homecoming in the fall; I think it's my class's year, anyway.

On second thought...I'm not feelingTHAT warm and fuzzy.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments: