Friday, January 16, 2009

Life Lesson from a Plant

On my new job, there are a bunch of plants in my office space, which I love. Unfortunately, the office was closed for about a week and a half (before I started here) for the Christmas and New Year holidays and the plants didn't get watered. When I started, I plucked off the dead leaves and gave them all a good watering.

One plant in particular concerned me. It is a pothos plant, also known as a "bachelor plant". You know...one of those plants that grow and grow and grow with little effort, forming long, trailing vines if they're not pruned.

Anywho...this little plant was wilted beyond measure. When I felt the leaves, they were still firm (though wilted), and the leaves were still very green with no signs of drying...so I figured the plant could still be saved. I gave it a lot of water and figured that if it perked up in a day or so, it would be good to go. I've revived the same type of plant in this fashion before, so it would work again.

Tuesday came...still wilted.

Wednesday...still wilted. I figured that f it was still wilted by the next day, it may be unsalvageable.

On Thursday, it was still wilted and I had resigned myself to the probability that the plant would have to be trashed.

Today...half of the leaves on the plant have completely perked up to their regular state. Not only that, but there are two (count 'em) brand-new leaves that were not there on Monday, and a third that is just budding. Seems like I did something right after all.

Hmm. Just goes to show that just because something doesn't seem to be growing or responding to your efforts, doesn' t mean that your efforts aren't working. Eventually, they'll pay off...and usually when you least expect it. So don't give up.

Never underestimate the teaching power of a plant.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: