Thursday, January 08, 2009

USA and TNT: Places to Make Friends

Y'all,

Original basic cable programming is the new hotness. And no one does it better than USA and TNT.

USA is really coming correct in the new millenium. I love me some Burn Notice, and In Plain Sight eventually grew on me. I've already sung the praises of House, MD and NCIS in a previous post. And the franchises (Law & Order SVU and Criminal Intent) are good to watch; Vincent D'Onfrio is THE MAN.

If you don't know, now you know.

Monk is a decent show, but I tend to watch it when nothing else is on. I don't know if its the way that the show is broadcast, but it has this vintage feel/look to it: very Magnum, PI. It's hard for me to watch the show and reconcile it with this current point in recent times. I also watch the show and keep seeing the police captain from The Fast and the Furious; he's a strong secondary character on the show.

I just cannot get into Psych. Crazy white dude fakes being psychic to solve murder cases, aided by his streetwise black sidekick: very Miami Vice meets The Odd Couple, minus the fast cars and boats, suits worn over T-shirts and loafers with no socks, sex appeal, and hordes of scantily clad, sex-crazed women. I watched the 2008 Christmas special, and I was blown away by the sheer triteness of the plot. But what can I say; stupidity is popular, as evidenced by the staying power and proliferation of soap operas.

On to TNT: The Closer ended up being a really good show. The character of Chief Brenda Johnson is off the hook with her deep Southern accent and designer outfit. And of course, I gotta give her dap for attending my alma mater and liking to eat so much. :D But my new best friend is Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton. LOVE IT! The series started off a bit slow, but by the time episode 3 came around, it had grown legs and was off running. If you get a chance, check it out. Age of the geek, baby! And you can't go wrong with reruns of the original Law & Order...this is the time to catch the Briscoe/Green episodes, especially the ones with Arthur Branch as the DA.

Thumbs down, though, to Saving Grace and Raising the Bar. While I thought I'd really like Saving Grace, the character of Grace (played by Holly Hunter) is just too off the rails for my taste. Raising the Bar was supposed to be the Next Great Law Show Hope (in the vein of L.A. Law, The Practice, etc.); the ratings apparently reveal that the show is popular, but I'm in that minority camp that isn't feeling it. I am glad that Mark-Paul Gosselaar is continuing to find prominent acting life after Saved by the Bell, and it's always good to see Gloria Reuben (although I wonder if she will join Tina Turner on her upcoming tour, since she sang backup for Tina on her last farewell tour--which was why Reuben left ER?).

Well, mid- to end of January will bring lots of new seasons of new shows, so get ready!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: