Wednesday, January 07, 2009

New Year, New (Blogging) Attitude, and Cable Television

Hi there!

Happy New Year!

Okay...I logged into Blogger and saw that my last post was July 23, 2008. Which is a shame because I've had so many thoughts running through my head, and you probably would have enjoyed them (if nothing else but to shake your head and think, "maybe she should get some medication."

In this new year, I am going to make a greater effort to avail you of my brain droppings (c) the late, great George Carlin. So get ready, do an RSS feed (if that's available on this site), and tell a friend.

I have a thought! Wanna hear it? Here it go! (shout out to In Living Color)

I start a new job on Jan. 12. This is my first permanent foray in Corporate America in over 7 years...but hustling and flowing as a freelancer just wore a sister out (hey, 7 years is still a pretty good run, and I do take the occasional project just to keep my feet wet).

Anywho...I've had the past week and some change off until the start of my new gig. What did I do, besides read and write? Channel surf.

One really needs a lot of free time to truly sift through the wonder that is cable television. Granted, I only have basic cable, but that is more than enough (I mean, I have over 80 channels, including TNT, USA, The Weather Channel, and The Food Network. What more do I need?).

I officially became addicted to House, MD over the summer. Gregory House, MD is me...in a white male package that is addicted to Vicodin (though my limp is nowhere that pronounced). I am drawn to shows with smartass characters who tend to be loners (hey, I used to be a fan of Xena, Warrior Princess too.). I've also become fond of NCIS, especially the episodes with Ziva David, the Mossad officer (home girl kicks major arse). Then again, I've been a fan of Mark Harmon since his St. Elsewhere days (ha! I'm showing my age).

I'm also getting into the Food Network (since I like to cook) and The Learning Channel. For some odd reason, I like to watch the shows about gastric bypasses and multiple births.

Last night I stumbled across an episode of The Bad Girls Club (which includes that chick who was in Kanye West's "The New Workout Plan" video--the one talking about Ray Ray). My favorite on the show is my namesake from Chicago. She is off the meat rack.

Tonight I stumbled across Confessions of a Teen Idol. My flabber was gasted. Time has not been kind to some of these dudes, and I didn't even recognize some of them (Christopher Atkins from The Blue Lagoon! WHOA! And the dude who sang "How Do You Talk To An Angel"!). And the show was hosted by Chachi himself, Scott Baio (on whom I had a major crush back in the day...him and Leif Garrett :D).

Guilty Pleasure of the Week: The Secret Life of an American Teenager, on ABC. Despite the fact that you can play some serious drinking games based on how many times the phrase "have sex" is mentioned throughout an episode-- and the tie for "most irritating" between the girl who plays Amy Jurguens and the guy who plays her boyfriend, Ben--I was glad to see Molly Ringwald (of Sixteen Candles) holding down her role quite well--she is not just a Brat Pack flashback; this chick can ACT. Molly looks good, too! Go'n, girl! And though the storylines are as transparent as wet tissue paper, and the show has its beat-you-over-the-head-with-morality premise, it's like a car wreck that I can't stop watching...and part of that is due to sexual abuse survivor and resident sociopath Ricky. This dude is like a junior Hannibal Lecter, but without the cannibalism.

You know...I may actually need to be medicated. Let's hear it for health insurance!

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments: