Sunday, March 01, 2009

Letting Go for Lent: Days 4 & 5

Yesterday was uneventful; so uneventful that I forgot to blog!

The headaches are pretty much gone (yay!).

Tonight I still craved cookies, and now I'm craving egg rolls. Maybe it's because I'm watching the marathon of America's Next Top Model and they are now overseas in Shanghai, China. :D Still, I'm debating on retrieving a Chinese food menu from my kitchen drawer and ordering...the only thing stopping me is that everyone doesn't know how to do egg rolls. I'd be really mad if I got some suspect egg rolls. And I can't eat duck sauce on my egg rolls because of the sugar content. That also leaves out my favorite General Tso's Chicken (because of the sugar in the hoisin sauce), Sesame Chicken (again, because of the sauce), and of course Sweet and Sour chicken or shrimp (yep...the sauce!).

As I try to diversify my diet during this Lenten period, I am amazed at how much sugar is in things...and in things I least expected! I finished off a pack of bacon and read the label...and guess what was the second ingredient listed? Dextrose! That's a sugar, if you didn't know. Sugar in bacon? WHAT?! I'd gotten some bacon from The Fresh Market (which does not sell packaged meats), and it had the exact same ingredients as the bacon I bought from Kroger...EXCEPT DEXTROSE. Wow...who'da thunk it? It was actually worth paying a bit extra for that bacon, since it has the least amount of extra stuff in it...and it tastes a bit better, too.

I also found out that my favorite spiced apple cider has sugar (first ingredient listed, which means it's the most prominent) in it, so I can't drink it. *sigh* That leaves out hot chocolate too.

Also...bread has sugar in it! I never really thought about it, but it does. I also found sugar in things like panko bread crumbs (!) and tomato soup (in the form of high fructose corn syrup--which I blasted in previous posts). Good Lord...I never really realized how the world revolves around sugar.

Time to go suck down some more strawberries, and maybe brew some white mango tea (herbal!) later on. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

souljourney said...

Gotta say... I've fallen off the wagon. Smack me *hangs head in shame*.
I didn't think through the idea before I thought "that sounds good... I'll do it too".
When stuff gets brought home or made, or whatever, then you eat it thinking it's ok... THEN look at the ingredients you find out all the stuff you did. TONS of "hidden" sugar stuff, real, fake, whatever.
I will try this soon... Promise! I know it will be good for me and very needed!!!f
I will be following your blog for inspiration. You go girl!
Oh... and love your writing style... tell me you have a book in the works?!?