Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Letting Go for Lent: Day 1

While grocery shopping the other day, I had the bright idea that I should give up something for Lent. Mind you, I'm not Catholic nor do I play one on TV, but perhaps attending Mardi Gras parties and seeing the Mardi Gras-themed items in stores had an influence. After a bit of deliberation, I decided that I should give up sugar for Lent.

What was I smoking?

If you don't know, now you know: I am a sugar freak. Always have been. I don't eat chocolates, and the most candy I eat these days is the occasional piece of peppermint. But I've never met a tiramisu, creme brulee, strawberry shortcake, donut, or vanilla/yellow (cup)cake with chocolate icing that I didn't like. And my tea? Sweet. Period. Hot or cold. I'm talking about lots of sugar, enough to send somebody into a diabetic coma.

(which is probably not a good idea for someone who has diabetes on both sides of the family--types 1 and 2--but I digress)

Add to the fact that my belly lip is expanding into a muffin top, and I'm still having acne breakouts, and I decided that it was time for an intervention. Lent was a good excuse, and also gave me a good time frame within which to do this (40 days). Plus, I refuse to buy any more bigger clothes (arse expansion notwithstanding).

40 days and nights of no added sugar. No sugar in my tea, no cakes, cookies, pies, or donuts.

Lord have mercy on my detoxing soul.

It's not like I've gone cold turkey before. I used to do 3- to 7-day juice fasts when I lived in California, or went from sunup to sundown without eating anything. But a whole month and some change (practically a month and a half)? I don't know...it's going to be tough.

I'd already taken a step toward a better diet when I cut regular bread out of my diet and switched to pita bread. Granted, I will have the occasional croissaint or some three-cheese bread (especially when it's on the "reduced for quick sale" rack in the grocery store bakery section), but that's maybe once a week--not every day, like I used to. As a result of that, I noticed that the muffin top was slowly deflating, especially as I was able to get into a new (to me) pair of jeans that I'd bought over the summer and couldn't wear because I couldn't fasten them. Plus, I think I read that carbohydrates convert to sugar in the body as an energy source, so lessening that will help my sugar withdrawal.

Anyway...I am going to try and chronicle my sugar abstinence here: how I'm coping (or not), physical and emotional changes, and all that good stuff. It may get ugly, so read at your own risk.

Thanks for stopping by.

T.



1 comment:

souljourney said...

Hi! I'd like to join your "give up sugar for Lent" run.
I too am a sugar freak. I don't even live in the South and my tea is more like syrup.
Maybe we could help support each other for this trial.
My gf says to me... 1 oz. of dark chocolate a day is ok since it's good for us. Not sure if I am going for that either. LOL
What do you think? Comment or you can PM on AT.