Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reflections on Growing Older

Back in the day, when I was young
I'm not a kid anymore
But some days, I sit and wish I was a kid again...

-- Dred Scott, "Back In the Day"

All this nostalgia has a sister thinking on how it was, how it is, and how it may be.

I recently turned 35 in April.

35.

3-5.

Five years from 40.

Wow.

As I reflect on how I've grown and matured (physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually), I have to sit and laugh about the things I used to be able to do and no longer can (or rather, the things I used to be able to do with no consequences and still can, but perhaps should not).


In high school, I was 97 lbs. wore a size 3, and shopped at 3-5-7 (that's a shop for little people like me). Now? Well, let's just say that I'm no longer 97 lbs and I'm larger than a size 3. LOL I dress to camouflage the pinchable inch around my middle. Juniors department? HA! A few years ago, I actually tried on a pair of Levis 501 jeans, like I used to wear (in a larger size, though LOL). Um...couldn't get them past my thighs. No joke. And I don't even have any kids yet.


I could go to school or work, five days a week, complete with extracurricular activities, hit parties and whatnot all weekend, catch a few hours sleep, and roll to work or class on Monday morning; sometimes, I'd roll straight to work after arriving from out of town and survive on coffee to keep me awake during the day.


Nowadays, I need to get at least 6-8 hours of straight sleep. I'm doing good to only hit the snooze alarm three times before I finally wake up in the morning. At one point, "sleeping late" meant waking up somewhere between 12 and 2 pm. Now, I sleep late if I wake up at 8 or 9 am.


About a week ago I was in Durham and hit the Dog House (when did Dog House dogs start costing so much?). I ordered 2 Bull Dogs and while it was good going down, those onions had me clutching my chest after a couple of bites. I almost wanted to scream, "'Lizabeth! I'm comin' to join ya, honey!"


I used to be able to eat anything I wanted, anytime I wanted. Now? I actually read the labels on the back of stuff in the grocery store. I buy "lite" instead of regular. I buy items lower in sodium. I make a point to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, and to order salad or another vegetable (instead of fries) when I'm at a restaurant.


I look at my thighs and notice cellulite (!) for the first time.


My hair is rather gray, once I stopped coloring it (but I still have a box of Feria in the closet. Don't sleep.). And I noticed gray hair...elsewhere. I needed a drink after that.


I also think about my family health history. Like most black folks, I have a family history (on both sides) of diabetes, high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol. I knew that if I wanted to stay on this earth as long as I hoped, I would need to make some changes. I cut back on fast food, which wasn't a hardship because I love to cook--and I baked chicken, fish, etc. instead of frying it. I cut back on bread. I increased my water, fruit, and vegetable intake. I make a conscious effort to exercise, and I walk at least a mile every day. Plus, walking helps me think. I miss being in an area where I got to walk most places; it kept my weight down.


I am loving my matured body, though; I kinda have hips for the first time in my life! And my walk apparently can still stop traffic. ;)


Thanks for stopping by.

T.

No comments: