Sunday, March 11, 2007

Keep It Moving

As life progresses, we grow (hopefully). This usually includes the mastering of old lessons in preparation for new ones; new challenges; new levels of faith.When you go to another level in your life, it is necessary to leave some people behind. Not because they did you dirty or are bad people, but because they just are not going the same way you are. Likewise for places and things. It's a sad but true fact of life.

Surrounding yourself with like-minded people can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that they will understand why you do what you do, because they are often doing the same or similar things. A curse in that when you are ready to do something different, something that is not within the insular world in which you all comfortably inhabit, you will find yourself on the outside.

Comfort is nice to have, but it too often leads to complacency. And when you lose your edge in this life, you tend to miss out on a lot of good things, and you also fail to realize just how far you can go. This is especially hard to discern when one has been through turbulent situations and is just glad to gain some measure of peace (or rather, non-turbulence. The two are not necessarily synonymous). Sometimes what one may perceive to be a destination is merely a rest stop; this is especially true when the rest stop spans a time period of years (which implies permanence) rather than months or weeks (which implies impermanence).

A pool of water quickly grows stagnant, especially if it is not replenished with fresh water. Moving water remains fresh. Let it marinate.

I have a hard time letting go: people, places, things, situations. It is a hallmark of my sign; in fact, many moons ago I read a birthday horoscope which said, "learning when to let go will be one of your life lessons." I've gotten better as I've gotten older, but I am still a work in progress. As a result, I find it hard to differentiate between seasonal and permanent. It's easy to figure out if one is referring to a retail job, but not when dealing with life.

For the past few days, my daily devotionals have been hitting me in the gut. Wednesday's stated, "If you are struggling to make things happen and they are not happening, it's you, not God, running the show." Today's devotional read, "Until today, you may not have been aware that you can do too much. In fact, you may have been a stumbling block on your own path." This speaks to recent events in my life, and makes me wonder if I need to let go of yet another thing.

I admit to having a vision of how my life is to be and the things I wish to accomplish; but one thing I have learned is that prayers are always answered, but not in the way we think they should be answered. Which means that perhaps I should let go of my preconceived notions of how/when/where I should realize my particular life vision. This means broadening my horizons and realizing that perhaps I am merely at a rest stop, not my permanent destination. This also means that I may once again be on the outside should my path end up diverging in a direction which others in my life are not upon, and may not be able to follow.

Oh well. I'll figure it out by and by. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: