Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Happy Meal in a Super-Sized World

It's official: having meat on your bones is the new black.

For those that beg to differ: have you seen clothing stores lately? Being petite is not the hotness. Petite Sophisticate (R.I.P.) closed its doors a few years ago. Cacique, which used to be my favorite lingerie store, made a change and now caters exclusively to full-figured women.

For those of you who have felt shunned by stores in the past, you may not give a whit; in fact, you may be rejoicing at the downfall of the single-digit-sized women. You may be gleeful that the pendulum is finally swinging your way. I, for one, ain't mad at y'all. Take back the...er...dressing rooms. Love your rolls. Do you.

However...this trend in clothing has left me feeling rather bereft as I continue to struggle and find decent clothes. It's not easy being a Happy Meal in a Super-Sized world.

Contrary to popular belief, being small is not all it's cracked up to be. My waist size corresponds properly to those in the Juniors department, but being over 30 has added layers of cellulite (and hips! Who knew?) that prevent me for getting a pair of pants in that department over my thighs. I'm too small for the Misses department, which also has the dubious distinction of offering lots of clothes with shoulder pads (which are so 1980s), metallic designs, and beads/mirrors. Yes, the better department stores offer petite sizes but depending on the store, the selections are either not that appealing, or the prices are out of control (when you don't fit--literally--the mainstream market, you have to pay the cost to be the boss).

Case in point: I was online, looking at some lingerie. I did a sort by bra size (yes, I am mammary-challenged) and was a bit dismayed to see my choices reduced from over twenty pages to ONE. From hundreds of bras to just 23.

GRRRRRR...

And, to add insult to injury, none of the bras were under $35. Yes, I know there are places I could get a lot less expensive bras, such as Marshall's and TJ Maxx...but 1) I prefer quality over quantity, and you're not going to find quality bras under $30 and 2) The mammary-challenged don't have much of a selection at discount stores. I know I'm not that big, but the next step down is a training bra, and I am NOT going there!

(for those who would suggest that I get a Wonderbra: the only thing a Wonderbra does for me is make me WONDER why I don't have much cleavage. But I digress.)

And WHY do bras in my size have padding?! I mean regular, everyday bras, not the push-up bras or specialty bras in that vein. If I wanted padding, I would get a Wonderbra, or one of those gel-filled ones. I like my bras rather unadulterated: underwire (sag does not discriminate), some nice trimming, comfort, and keep it moving. I do not want to be buried under layers of Lycra or whatever because a designer (probably male) is feeding into the societal brainwash of bigger breasts are better breasts. This goes back to the whole mother/whore, Oedipal complex type of thing, which is a whole 'nother discussion.

Okay...off to try and find something in my size. Thanks for stopping by.

T.

No comments: