Monday, January 23, 2006

Virtual (Un)Reality

I've had the most...interesting 48 hours, and it's all due to the Internet.

I am a member of a rather popular, DC-area message board. On this board are many club promoters who do events at popular watering holes in Washington, DC (I shall not name said watering holes because then said promoters would be instantly recognized. But I digress.).

Well...last Tuesday, at the Heather Headley listening event, I was invited to play pool on Saturday at one of these watering holes. I accepted the invite and asked to be put on the guest list. Later on that day, someone asked about the crowd at this particular spot. I commented that there were lots of chickenheads and drunkards there.

Man, what I say that for?

One would have thought I'd insulted someone's mother! I was called everything but a child of God by the promoters, including hypocritical (because I'd asked to be put on the guest list to mingle with such chickenheads and drunkards, and seemed to have had a good time at the watering holes I'd visited--and was always on the guest list).

Now...color me clueless, but that comment was applicable to any club in the DC metropolitan area...shoot, in the world! And I didn't see how my random comment would cut into their numbers, being that most people (especially those on that board) were club regulars and were going regardless of my two cents.

Later on that night I caught two of my favorite artists at the Black Cat club. I saw one of the bitch-like promoters but ignored him. One of the artists is also a member of this message board and after the show, inquired as to whether or not I was going by the watering hole. When I replied in the negative, he actually asked me if I was "scared" to go.

Ooh...the bullies were waiting in the yard after school for me...I was trembling. *rolling eyes*

Last night, I caught another favorite artist at Takoma Station and saw yet another board member (and the other venomous promoter, who obviously ignored me...I'd say that walking directly in front of me and even stepping over my feet, all without even saying "hello", qualifies as a deliberate ig. But I digress.). HE asked me why I wasn't on the board and hadnt' responded, and actually said that this whole thing was a "test" to see how thick-skinned I was.

What is this? School Daze II? Is Spike Lee in a corner somewhere, filming?

Um...I didn't pledge a sorority in college for that very reason. Why the hell would I willingly be "hazed" on the Internet? And how can you call yourself hazing someone on the Worldwide Web? Am I gonna get letters to wear? Can I rock a T-shirt with the message board's insignia on it? I think not.

The high-school mentality of many on that board (and yes, that tars me with the same brush since I'm a member of said board) has disintegrated to my being called "thin-skinned" and a "coward" because I didn't respond to the venomous comments by club promoters, and because I didn't come to that watering hole that night (after reading such nastiness, I emailed privately and asked to be removed from the list). This is just what I've been told; I haven't logged onto the board to read the libel personally.

To top it all off, the latest word on the street is that those board members who have met me in person are now talking behind my back about me because (get this) I wear certain articles of jewelry.

Then again, there is a constantly circulating rumor that I'm sleeping/have slept with another board member, since we've known each other for almost twenty years (since our [HA!] high school days). Go figure.

I must have fallen into a time machine and got transported back to HHS in the late '80s. Maybe I need to look in my closet and check for my varsity cheerleading uniform and SAT study manual. And I need to look in the mirror and see if my hair has reverted back to an asymmetric cut that was so popular back then.

Really...is it THAT DEEP? If I don't let you into my world on a consistent basis, don't hate because you're nose is perpetually pressed up against the glass (c) DJ Kool. And don't hate because my jewels are real. Get your own or, barring that, I'm accepting donations from Harry Winston if you don't like it. I prefer sapphires, but my birthstone is the diamond, so I can work with that as well. :) The Internet is full of weirdoes and anyone can pretend to be anybody. So why would I just up and claim you as an friend based on your posting style? I mean a true friend, a ride-or-die/I-got-your-bail-money friend.

I have a dollar in my pocket. Anyone from that board is welcome to come and get it, go down to the local CVS, and buy a clue. Oh, and disconnect the Hatorade drip from your veins.

Readers, let this serve as a warning. If you don't know, now you know: the Internet is a haven for those who have not/cannot/will not work out their issues (or at least come to a comfortable arrangement with their respective demons) in real life. Don't get caught up.

I learned my lesson and have walked away from that board. It's not a question of cowardice, but rather one of maturity. It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man (or woman) in an argument.

T.

No comments: