Saturday, September 24, 2005

Stockholm (no, not the one in Sweden)

My first venture back into the DC metro club scene in over five years...

I attended a Stockholm1976 party on 18th & K (Kolumbia Cafe, I think, was the venue) on Friday, Sept. 14. It was thrown by the son of the woman who is a big dog at Sista 2 Sista magazine. I am skeptical about clubbing in general, since I tend to get extremely irritated by drunken crowds, but some cohorts raved about the previous party so I figured, why not?

My random thoughts:
  • Are pink shirts what's hot in the streets for men? Was Thomas Pink having a sale?
  • From the way the bartenders were hopping, I thought that Prohibition was about to return the next morning. I mean, folks were DEEP at the bar.
  • The DJ needed to be shot. I know someone in there had a mix CD in their car...should have given it to the DJ so he could learn how to mix. I was tempted to suggest that he just turn the radio to PGC or KYS and call it a night.
  • Women really are desperate to get a man (or, at the very least, a free beverage) around here. Wow. I used to be one of these women hoping to find a "good" man at the club and flashed my assets accordingly. Ah, the folly of youth...although some of my fellow thirtysomethings still didn't get the memo that men want a lady in the streets and a freak in the bedroom (ask your mama if you don't know LOL).
  • I finally learned how to drop down and get my eagle on (never saw the video). You learn something new every day.
  • The demographic was definitely under 30...*sigh*
  • can I ever dance with/attract someone over 5'3" (although me and the next-to-last dude were cutting up to "Candy Girl")?
  • can Black folks EVER have an event without the Electric Slide or a variation thereof (e.g. Cha Cha Slide)?
  • Men: please, please, please...I don't care how good your (bamma) friends say you look, DO NOT leave the house in a shirt with French cuffs WITHOUT WEARING CUFFLINKS. I am still mad at the dude that was rocking that mess. I think his shirt was pink, too.

I am afraid of the DC club scene. I am VERY afraid.

Thank you for letting me share.

T.

No comments: